During the summer, you want to keep your hands and nails looking clean and healthy, without looking or feeling dry and cracked. Keeping your nails clean and healthy while wearing nail polish requires care and attention. Nail polish can be both a benefit and a challenge for maintaining nail health. Here are some tips to help you keep your nails in great condition while enjoying your favorite polish:
- Choose a High-Quality Nail Polish – Opt for nail polishes that are free of harsh chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP (dibutyl phthalate). These chemicals can be damaging to your nails and overall nail health.
- Limit Constant Polish Application – Avoid keeping nail polish on your nails for too long. Prolonged use of nail polish can cause your nails to become discolored, dry, and brittle. Let your nails breathe for a few days between polish applications.
- Use a Base Coat – Most women know to first start with a base coat before applying their main polish color. For new polish wearers, please apply the base coat first before applying anything else. A base coat acts as a protective barrier between your nails and the polish, preventing staining and damage.
- Moisturize Regularly – Keep your nails and cuticles moisturized to prevent them from becoming dry and brittle. Use a good, quality cuticle oil or a rich hand cream or body butter to moisturize your hands and nail beds. Products containing shea butter, vitamin E, and/or almond oil are beneficial. Fortunately, D’Scent Essentials has exactly what you need. Please check our website for products that will help you keep your nails and hands soft, supple, and moisturized. We’ll also have a cuticle oil available for purchase; stay tuned for details! (dscente.com)
- Don’t Bite Your Nails – Nail biting not only ruins your polish, but also damages your nails. It can lead to nail weakening, possible infection, and irregular nail growth. So, don’t do it!
- Choose Non-Toxic Nail Art Options – Many people enjoy nail art on their nails, and that’s great! However, if you decide on adding art to your nails, use non-toxic and/or water-based choices. Try not to use glue or adhesives that can damage your nails.
By following these tips, you can maintain clean and healthy nails while wearing nail polish. Remember that moderation is key, and giving your nails some time to breathe in-between applications will contribute to their overall health and appearance. Hopefully, these tips will benefit your nails and hands during the hot summer months.